Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

I'm broke.

I spent all my money on food yesterday. Mind you, I didn't waste it. I spent it.

But before I tell you about my Saturday, I want to throw in this little picture that I took at Kendo on Friday night. My heart just melted.
IMG_4377
She's sooo tiny! Gah! Wait a few years, and she'll be kicking my ass.

Well, on to Saturday. Garage Sale! That I technically wasn't a part of. I just existed in that general area. On the way to pick up something nice for the lovely, I saw that my favorite barbecue stand was back at farmer's market! Oh, the joy I felt when I walked up to order my Dog in a Ditch with brisket and extra sauce. It made me happy to see them again. Then I picked up some boba for Sayo and Emilaaay, who were most likely baking in the heat. Picked myself up a chocolate shake, too. Drove over to Sayo's dad's place, and plopped down for lunch. What a lunch it was.
IMG_4390
Foil is terrible to photograph in the sun.

Now, during the garage sale, an interesting old man stopped by. He was lively, had a great sense of humor, and was overall just a swell guy. He was also 80.
IMG_4394
He didn't look it. His secret? Love, and don't eat too much meat. I fail at one of those. And he felt so inclined to buy something, he took an unused SAT 2 study guide. Ha.

His license plate was also ridiculously awesome.
IMG_4395

And then Ashley came and brought some Babycake goodness :D Yum.
IMG_4397

We finished up, cleaned the extra junk, and parted ways for an hour before meeting up at Lucille's. Only problem was, I didn't know what time we split up. So I didn't know what time we had to meet. Hence my lateness.

Catfish Po' Boy. Open-faced. Catfish was bland and in little strips, not giant chunks like the good places do. Really not a big fan. I'll go back to Ragin Cajun or Honey's to satisfy my catfish cravings.
IMG_4400

We then split up again. Met up with Nikki to explore Hollywood and the Silent Auction. She was hungry, so we stopped by Aroma Cafe to pick up some eats. I actually didn't get anything, but I did have a bite of her veggie sandwich. It was surprisingly flavorful, but I disliked the lack of meat. I would be a terrible vegetarian. Well Arome Cafe is also an overpriced bakery, with these nice-looking fruit tarts that photographed very nicely.
ZOMG FRUIT TARTS

We then proceeded to buy some chocolate baked goods that I didn't photograph because I was too busy eating them and feeling all giddy from their chocolate goodness. Think macaroons, if you really want to picture them.

Went to something called EAT MORE ART OUT! at Meltdown Comics on Sunset. Silent Art Auction, but it was anything but silent. The DJ was blasting music in the gallery, and all sorts of people wearing roller blades, dressed up as superheroes, and other generally fashionable LA people were chatting it up. Quite a lively atmosphere.

The art pieces there made me realize how much I wish I had random amounts of money to buy some pieces. Oh well. That's life. But this one struck me as particularly odd. The guy had a canvas tacked to the wall, which he just drew on periodically throughout the night. Quite fun.
IMG_4415

We then perused the various comics and manga in the store, indulging in a sense of geekiness that was quite fun. I can see why so many people enjoy it.

Left the auction and headed out to Hollywood. Had to find out if Sunset was north or south of Hollywood Blvd. I've never had to go from one to the other. After making an informative phone call, I also saw the towering Scientology sign on Hollywood Blvd. Ironically, it acted like a beacon for us. Ha.

Now, Hollywood on a Saturday night is always a fun place. That is, if you want to see wanton public drunkenness, tourists, and others who generally have nothing to do but loiter. But hey, where else can you find an H&M that's open until 11? Point taken.

Now, there was this sign that made me laugh. Like, really. Find anything weird about this?
Irony.
Yeah! Bring your kids to Hooters! Expose them to freakishly well-endowed women and dry buffalo wings at an early age! Power to the American people! Booya!

Well definitely wasn't going to eat there. While searching for a decent hot dog, we saw this gem of a restaurant called 25 degrees, next to the Roosevelt Hotel. I think I've read about it someplace, but it didn't immediately strike me as interesting. But after looking at their menu and taking a gander inside, we immediately took a seat at the bar. The interior was dimly lit, with large, red upholstered booths around the walls of the joint. A long, substantial wooden diner-esque bar ran across the restaurant. The walls had a very interesting wallpaper design, and some urban outfitter styled light fixtures. Twas a burger joint, but they served cheese platters, mixed drinks, beer floats, and some attractive desserts. Only in LA.
25 Degrees

On to the eating part. The sweet potato fries were exactly like those at The Counter. And I mean exactly. They get them from the same supplier. But they are seasoned a little bit differently, and presented like any contemporary Hollywood place would do it. With lots of white. Ignore the ketchup and mustard drawings. Those were made post-serving.
25 Degrees

Now the burger...oh man. Where to begin! It was a byob (build your own burger) place, with a nine dollar set price for a sirloin burger and the typical vegetables. An assortment of exotic cheeses cost 1.50 extra, and toppings and sauces ran you an extra dollar each. I had a medium well sirloin burger with some stretchy, gooey, tasty smoked mozarella, garlic aioli, and prosciutto, all on a very hefty bun. The cheese, as I already mentioned, was great. Sauce went almost unnoticed, and the prosciutto was thick-cut, ending up like bacon more than the prosciutto di parma tha I was expecting. But I can't say anything bad about the burger as a whole. It was juicy, delicious, and just plain awesome. I have fallen in love with the burgers at 25 degrees.
25 Degrees

The man behind the bar was also entertaining, commenting on the cars that passed by the window, and telling about his own old school truck that he was repairing with his dad. Fungi.

I had such an unhealthy eating day. But oh well. Worth it.

And on the way home, as my mind drifted off to the beats of Benny Benassi, I started seeing splotches of blue paint across my field of vision. I swear...I was tripping out. But that doesn't really matter all that much, I suppose. Whatever. Off to watch Coraline in 3D!

No comments:

Post a Comment