Pages

Saturday, April 11, 2009

If you're going to San...Francisco.

Berkeley's a fun little college town. Lots of yoga studios, organic food places, etc. Reeks of down-to-earth hippie goodness. Quite fun.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I went up there with my cousin Daniel to visit UC Berkeley.

I think it was...Emilay's cousin that mentioned Zachary's Pizza? Hm...it was recommended to me by someone. But regardless, Zachary's kicks ass. Thin crust pizza with Canadian Bacon, Jalapeno, and Sausage. The crust was crispy with a thin layer of cornmeal on the bottom. The sauce was tangy and thick with chunks of stewed red goodness. The sausage and bacon was hidden underneath the cheese, which prevented the oils from being cooked off, thus locking in an inordinate amount of flavor. Of course, this made the pizza quite liquidy, but didn't do enough to detract from my enjoying the pizza. Great stuff.
Zachary's

Walked around Berkeley for a few hours. Have to take time to make my college decision now.

Back over to San Francisco. Hadn't been there since elementary school, so I went around and did all of the touristy things. Like...the one and only Golden Gate Bridge. Along with the other 1000000000 asian tourists with dslrs, shooting away at the landmark.
That one famous bridge.

Next, up and down over steep streets and confusing roads to Lombard Street, the curviest street in the world. Oh man, that was fun to drive down. Saw some guy take it down at 40 mph just for fun. Smart move, dude.
Lombard Street
There was an extremely long line to get on the street. Seriously, it was like waiting in line for a ride at Disneyland. I feel for the people who actually live on the street. What a pain, hearing the screeching of car brakes all day.

Drove up another steep incline to Telegraph Hill, where I followed a beautiful little trail to reach the top.
How Pretty.

Waiting for me was Coit Tower, where you can take an elevator up and see the entire San Francisco Bay.
Coit Tower
So Coit was the name of some rich socialite lady. She was in love with San Fran, so bequeathed a third of her estate to arbitrarily beautify the city. It was decided to use the funds for a tower. Huh.

And on to more touristy things. Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. Lots of seafood, the Boudin Bakery (which I had just seen a mockup of at DCA XD ), Bushman, and interesting characters. Saw an old man in a three-piece suit with a handlebar mustache and pocketwatch, but didn't manage to get a shot. Lame.

Pier 39, where tourists buy bread bowls and cheap souvenirs. Cool.
Pier 39
There was an Asian saturation of 8 people per square yard. Gah!

Went to Chowders for dinner. Good choice.

How about...a steaming bread bowl filled with clam chowder? What about clam chowder chock full of seafood, celery, potato, and bacon?! The bowl was almost completely carved out. More soup, less bread. Crispy outside. Chewy inside. Which is why I do not regret getting the Steak Gumbo at Disneyland.
Steaming

Also got some fish and chips, but they paled in comparison to the clam chowder. Poor things, stuck in the shadow of some great San Fran goodness.
Fish and Chips

Last picture of the day. I swear. I was looking out the window on the lower level of the Bay Bridge right after sunset. The sky was completely blue - no clouds or anything. I felt like I was looking at a fish tank. Driving through water. I was tripping out, man.
Trippin out.
Totally blew my mind.

It was great visiting SF after all these years. Definitely enjoyed myself. It's a shame we didn't pull of a NorCal road trip this Spring Break. Oh well. Good night, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment