Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

It's not the camera.

Someone at school once said "It's not the person. It's the camera." I hope they were suffering a case of instantaneous dyslexia, or I would have to slap them upside the head.

It's not the camera. It's the person behind it.

As dslrs decrease in cost and enable more people to buy them, there's a growing trend towards adopting the moniker of "photographer." Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

Carrying a dslr around doesn't make you a better picture taking person. But it does look cool. For what it's worth, I took some of my best pictures with an old 35mm Kodak from the sixties and a crappy Canon point-and-shoot.

I have lots more to say on this subject, like enough to fill a few pages. But I feel that I should put that off until I myself improve my picture taking abilities. Otherwise, I have no right to say this kind of stuff.

2 comments: