Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

twas a good day.

My neck is pulsing right now. I'm not sure why, and it sort of scares me seeing as I have a history of pulling my neck. But I digress.

I headed out to museum hop with Sarah and Jen today...hit up some food places, got fat, and generally enjoyed a lovely day. We started it off with lunch at The Apple Pan, which was quite tasty. Had a Hickoryburger, fries, orange soda, and we all split some delicious apple pie. I'll prove it.

The Hickoryburger has a mix of ketchup and barbecue sauce that's alright, I guess.
Hickoryburger

The sodas come in the coolest cone/cone carriers ever. I'm trying to cut down, but this made it impossible not to get.
IMG_3838

And a slice of pie, which was split three ways...
IMG_3840

The Apple Pan definitely has a worn-in feel to it. It just reeks of vintage-old-awesomeness. I feel very...comfortable there. Oh, and the server guy was awesome. If you took a particularly large bite, he would just put a napkin in front of you XD Pretty funny guy.

Feeling content, we drove over The Getty Center and acted all artistic and stuff. Oh, and taking pictures is contagious.
IMG_3847

There was a temporary exhibition on Carleton Watkins, one of the premier photographers of California in the mid-1800s. He used this massive large format camera which I would expect to be a pain in the ass to take into the field.
IMG_3853

His photographs were quite amazing, considering the technology that was available to him. Seriously...check it out if you like photography and have some free time.

The gift shop of the exhibit had one of those poseable wooden figures with some film on him. Cool.
IMG_3855

We ventured through the rest of the museum, and this particular ridiculously awesome frame caught my eye.
IMG_3857a

Got lost, got found, saw some interesting things. Oh! and we acted like art experts, like in Lit AP. I actually got some lady to consider my idea that a statue of a goddess was actually a metaphor for baby-killing. I got a thoughtful "hmm" out of her. Success.

Went into the gardens, snapped some shots of the scenery. Quite pretty, really.

IMG_3865

IMG_3864

We sat there on the grass, talking about things that make you think some more, drawing you into a trap of thoughtfulness that leaves equally thoughtful silences.

Then, we left.

After Sarah's car almost overheated and we got trapped in the middle of an intersection, we ended up at LACMA to see the Vanity Fair Portraits for my second time.
IMG_3883

Photography's technically not allowed in there, but I snapped a few shots to give you guys a feel for it. For the love of...just go. Please. You won't regret it.
IMG_3884

IMG_3887

The pictures in there are sublime. Really, they are something else.

After leaving the gallery (reluctantly) we headed over to BCAM and the Ahmanson Building. Here are some pictures that I got in trouble for taking multiple times.

I love Andy Warhol, but seriously? Art?
IMG_3889

This was kinda cool...a giant twisting sculpture that you can walk through.
IMG_3898

Outside LACMA...
IMG_3901
I have a thing for symmetry.

We left LACMA, sufficiently artified, then went to get dinner. By this point, I could eat a cow. I was hungry. Headed down to Little Ethiopia and went to Rosalind's, which is supposedly the best place to eat in the area. I might have to agree.

It called to me.
Rosalind's

We ate and ate until we could eat no more. Damn, I love Ethiopian food.

I have no idea what this stuff is called...but it's a #1 and a #8.
Rosalind's

Rosalind's

So how this dish works is that it's served with these spongy pancake-like things that you use to scoop up bits of meat and sauce. No forks required. It's really fun, and surprisingly efficient.

And with that, we drove over to some ice cream place that Sarah was raving about over by the ESPN Zone on Figueroa. Check out the Hokey Pokey. It's butterscotch and honey ice cream with nuts, and is ridiculously awesome.
IMG_3906

And with that, we drove home, with paintings and sculptures dancing through our heads. Oh, what a fun day it was.

Oh, and my neck stopped pulsing :D

No comments:

Post a Comment